Mass Times

Sunday Masses:

Sat   7pm -   St. Mary's
9:15am-    St. Joseph's
10:30am-     St. Mary's
5:30pm-      St. Mary's

Confessions

Saturday:

St Joseph's
After 10am Mass

St. Mary's
6pm to 6:45pm

Newsletter

Download our latest parish newsletter here.

St. Joseph's Church, Frizington

The mission at Frizington was founded by Fr. Brierley, parish priest at Cleator, in 1872, with the opening of a "School Chapel", and in 1875 Fr. Brielrley moved to Frizington as its first Parish Priest when it became established in its own right.

The first church was built some years later in the present location on Yeathouse Road, known as the Iron Church, and was replaced with the present building in 1896-7, the product of many years labour in raising funds.

The high altar in the church is the world of Messrs. Boulton and Son, of Cheltenham, with statues of St. Benedict, St. Edmund, St. Gregory and St. Lawrence. The altar of the original church has been moved to become the Lady Altar, in the side chapel to the left of the church.

The parish had served by Benedictine priests from its foundation, latterly from Douai Abbey, and in 1980 Fr. Thomas Deane, O.S.B., came to the parish; he was to be the last Benedictine to serve the communtiy. Fr. Deane is responsible for the installation of the present altar and and ambo, in accord witht he revision to the Mass that followed the Second Vatican Council. He retired in 1993 and was replaced by Fr. Bernard Hearty, a diocesan priest, who served the parish until September 2009.